COVELO – A 23-year-old San Jose man was kidnapped at gunpoint from a marijuana grow site in Mendocino County last week, authorities said Monday. His abductor threatened to shoot him if the victim didn’t pay $30,000 he owed to the man.

The Mendocino County Sheriff’s Office said the victim escaped serious injury and the suspect was arrested.

The victim, who only speaks Spanish, told deputies through his brother-in-law that he was working at the grow site in Covelo about 1 p.m. on June 2 when the owner of the property – identified as 20-year-old Emergene Phillips – arrived in a Ford Edge.

Read the rest of this story on MercuryNews.com.